Viruses are a fact of life. This year the world is facing a big one – SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19 or the novel corona virus depending on what you want to call it. It may not ultimately be as deadly as some, e.g. Ebola, but it is serious enough to be called a pandemic having spread around the world in a matter of months.
It is amazing how connected the world is today, and the spread of this particular virus has illuminated that. It is on the news every night and people are alarmed. I’m not sure that the current run on toilet paper is warranted but a good dose of preparedness certainly is. That includes doing what you need to do to keep your body healthy.
You’ve heard it over and over (yes even on the Internet) but it’s true – wash your hands. What else can you do? You can take care of your body by eating right, exercising, reducing free radicals and reinforcing your immune system. You may not escape from catching the virus, but you can do as much as possible to give yourself a fighting chance to resist and recover. At New Genesis Health we explore the traditional and ancient remedies for, e.g. when viruses attack. We look for those that have stood the test of time.
What are some of the herbs that have in ancient medicine been associated with supporting the immune system?
- Angelica Root (not dong quai) – has been used to strengthen lungs; decongestant
- Andrographis – is often used to treat the common cold and flu
- Astralgus – has been used to treat the common cold and respiratory infections
- Barberry Bark – has been used for the respiratory tract and to reduce fever
- Bayberry Bark – sometimes used to support respiratory function
- Elderberry – has been used as an antioxidant; and to treat the common cold and flu
- Garlic – often used to boost the immune system to fight viruses and vampires
- Ginger – often used to fight the flu and common cold
- Green Tea – found to be an antioxidant; used to support the immune system
- Suma Root –traditionally used to fortify the body against stressors and support the immune system
- Turmeric – used as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
It is important to talk to your doctor about your health, especially if you start to experience symptoms of the flu. But it is also important to know yourself and your own health status. What to do about a virus? Do everything you can to support your immune system and be prepared. We want you to stay healthy, happy and whole!